Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Strawberry Pie

So this is the infamous Haslam Strawberry pie.  Every person in our family requests to have this for their birthday instead of cake.  Since my birthday was just a few days ago I though I should put this up.  It is so good I woke up at 445am before work to make it. 

I honestly can hardly call it a recipe: super easy.

Julie rating 10/10; serves 6-8; prep:30 minutes; need at least 4 hrs in frig before serving

2-3 lbs strawberries
1-2 (4 1/2) oz packages of Danish Dessert (here is a link if you don't know what it is http://www.junketdesserts.com/danishdessert.aspx)  I always buy the raspberry flavor for this even though it is with strawberries.  If you are making a very small pie you could just buy one box, but if you use anything more than 2 lbs of strawberries I would buy two packages-it is not very good if you don't have enough filling.  With the extra filling I put it in dessert cups and just serve with whip cream for anyone who doesn't want pie. I normally make 1 1/2 packages.
1 store bought pie crust-I have yet to find a homemade crust with as good of flavoring as the store brand or worth the time of making it-but if you have a recipe you like, go for it

Preparation: Bake pie crust according to directs.  Cut up strawberries.  I usually cut a bunch in half to put on the bottom of the pie and then in quarters for the rest of the pie.  Just personal preference.  If the strawberries are very sour, I'll put a bit of powder sugar on them.  Make the Danish Dessert according to the directions for pie filling on the back of package.  Since finished, put in frig until cool.  Stir every few minutes so it doesn't set. When the Danish Dessert is cooled you can add strawberries to the pie crust, then pour Danish Dessert over the strawberries.  Put in frig to set for several hours-I think around 4-5.  Serve with whip cream.
Best pie ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment